VR & AR in Manufacturing
What’s the Format:
09/02/2020 – About the Topic:
In manufacturing VR/AR has revolutionized the shop floor from training to maintenance to inventory tracking and user experience testing. Using VR, Ford reduced their injury rate of employees by 70%. Lockheed Martin has used VR to enable their engineers to work 30% faster with accuracy up to 96%. And by utilizing the AR capabilities of the HoloLens to build virtual prototypes of every part and plane, Boeing believes it will cut training time by 75% per person, saving the company millions. Come learn what’s next for these technologies in manufacturing and ask the experts your questions during our Q&A panel.
Attending VRAR Chicago Virtual Meetups
We encourage folks to join us in the virtual environment Conference Hall by downloading the Virbela open campus client at virbela.com/download. Otherwise, people can join by watching the scheduled live stream at facebook.com/VRARChicago/live_videos – where we will field questions from! See more about getting started and navigating Virbela below.
The Virbela virtual environment resembles a physical space, so you will be able to talk with other attendees prior to the start of the presentations. We suggest that you arrive no later than 6:00pm and we will get started promptly at 6:15. Please try to get familiar with the technology prior to the day of the meetup, as we will be unable to provide support during the event.
We will start with informal networking, then host a panel discussion to answer audience questions, and we end with more networking. We keep it simple and informal – this meetup is about you, our members, and not just a soap box for the host, presenters, or our sponsors. Come and get your questions answered, take your next step in Immersive Technology.
VRAR Chicago Virtual Meetups
The VirBELA virtual environment resembles a physical space, so you will be able to talk with other attendees prior to the start of the presentations. We suggest that you arrive no later than 6:00pm and we will get started promptly at 6:15. Please try to get familiar with the technology prior to the day of the meetup, as we will be unable to provide support during the event.
We will start with informal networking, then host a panel discussion to answer audience questions, and we end with more networking. We keep it simple and informal – this meetup is about you, our members, and not just a soap box for the host, presenters, or our sponsors. Come and get your questions answered, take your next step in XR Technology.
Signing up for VirBELA
VirBELA is available on mac, windows, rift and vive.
First, you will want to create your account and then download the program onto your computer by going to their registration page. For Rift and Vive, it should be pretty straightforward in their interface.
- You will need to verify your email address
- Create an avatar
- Log into their “open campus”
Once logged in and in the VirBELA open campus area, walk around with your arrow keys and then click the Go To menu on top left of the screen. Our program will be in the Auditorium, so you will need to click that option to join us.
Entering the Venue – Auditorium
- Log into VirBELA
- Click Go To menu on top left of your screen
- Select Auditorium
Open Networking in VirBELA
You do not need to be in or remain in the Auditorium to connect and network with others, but that is where we will be congregating. The open campus is available to explore.
Although voices will be spatial at times, sound levels can still become overwhelming to some. Anywhere you see glowing or dotted lines on the floor indicates “separate rooms.” When you step inside these areas, you will only hear those who are also in that sectioned off area.
- Don’t leave your friend behind!
- Let those you are talking with to follow you into a quieter grouping of chairs or to a different area of the open campus.
- Dotted or Glowing lines = “separate rooms”
VRAR Chicago Virtual Environment Code of Conduct
- Please use headphones if you can
- If you do not have headphones, please only use your microphone when you are speaking – keeping it muted otherwise
- Not using headphones can often create an echo effect that can negatively affect others’ experiences
- Please use headphones if you can
- Keep your microphone on push-to-talk (pressing the 1 key)
- Open microphones often create an echo effect that can negatively affect other’s experiences
- Remain seated during the program so that you do not impact other guest’s experience or sight lines
- Act as if this is a space that you are in physically!
- Questions and Answers
- Click Go To menu
- Click raise hand
- Wait to be called on
- Asking your question
- Press 1 key to open your mic
- Hold the 1 key while you ask your question and for a second after you are done
- Let go of your 1 key
- Click Go To menu
- Press and hold the 1 button to open your microphone to speak
- Pressing the spacebar unlocks your view or “head” to look around
- You can click someone’s name and click Go To and automatically walk to them
- Your Go To menu lets you raise your hand, wave, or even dance!
- Click the screen menu on top of your screen once in the Auditorium to select your preferred ‘view’ to enjoy the program.
- You can toggle between these selections during the program
- If you join us after the program has begun, when you enter the Auditorium you will automatically be placed in a seat – enjoy!